12/19/14

things i have learned in 29 years

   I would like to think that in the past nine years I have learned a little bit about being a grown up. I got married at 20, had my first child at 22 and have been popping them out since then. These are a few things I have learned:

1. Buy quality not quantity. I know that this is something we've all heard over and over, but there is a reason. Good shoes, makeup and a well made purse will make you look like you have a clue and won't fall apart 6 months later. It doesn't hurt that your feet won't be killing you in the first 20 minutes either.

2. Find a good stylist and don't let them go. Hair is important. A crappy cut will always look bad, and crappy color is even worse. Leave the boxed color alone and cough up the money to get good color and you absolutely will not regret it.... unlike that terrible attempt to go blonde in the bathroom a few years ago.

3. Make love not war. Kids, husbands and strangers all respond much better to a gentle tone and a smile. Fact.

4. Ignore the nonsense. Gossip and drama are never classy. Be classy. Keep your mouth shut and your reputation good.

5. Learn to cook something. I will never be a great cook, but I have definitely learned that Hamburger Helper is always a bad choice and that having 4 or 5 things that I know that recipe for by heart can save the day. Find something, anything you can make well. You'll thank me later when you actually want to have people over for dinner.

6. Take a sewing class. Or at least find a friend who can sew and make them teach you the basics. You'll save a fortune on tailors and not having to replace shirts because they have lost a button.

7. Be a good friend. Don't be the needy friend that always needs to unload on others. Listen well, and texting does not equal conversation.

No comments: